Free invisible hit counter ProfShade: Buckeye

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Buckeye

Image Hosted by  ImageShack.us

Aesculus glabra Willd
Common names:
Ohio buckeye, American buckeye, Fetid
buckeye, Stinking buckeye, and American horsechestnut


This tree has a distinct unflattering odor, thus explaining some of its common names. It is a very popular and attractive ornamental tree, has limited use in the commercial market as sawtimber. Because of the narcotic found in the bark and fruit, it is considered poisonous to livestock, thus influencing some landowners to eradicate the tree (Williams, 1990, Silvics of North America. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Handbook 654).

You know, if I didn't have any cojones, I'd probably keep a few of these stinkin' bad boys in my pocket for luck. Not that it would substitute for the real thing, mind you.

I'm traveling to my girl friend's house this weekend in Ohio, hence the Buckeye tutorial, and no blogging until Sunday. As usual, it ain't all fun; she has a few things for me to do around the house. Seems she's having a bit of a vermin infestation problem.