Free invisible hit counter ProfShade: Who the Fuck is ProfShade? I get mail on this...

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Who the Fuck is ProfShade? I get mail on this...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The real ProfShade, metafictionally speaking, is the character Professor Shade, a New England poet whose poem 'Pale Fire' is dissected, footnoted ad infinitum and promiscuously parsed by a psychotic scholar named Charles Kinbote in Nabokov's novel of the same name [Pale Fire]. It is hilarious. It is eerie. It is an assault on the nature of reality, perception, art, academic and artistic ego and even butterflies. But more to the point of this 'place,' it dawned on me, as I read more and more blogs and on-line pundits, that the entirety of the blogdom and the Internet was becoming one enormous, all-encompassing Pale Fire. Literally millions of Kinbotes firing off a billion realities. Shade's poem is pedestrian at best. The chaotic fabrication born in its deconstruction is sublime. Don't get me wrong. This on-line shit is next to nothing; it is footnote, tangent and semi-lucid Kinbote loci, but also an increasingly cross-referential and rampant redefinition of the world.

So the bottom line is I chose the wrong side of the mirror in naming this site. The more appropriate moniker would have been Doc Kinbote. But that sounded too much like a John Wayne western. And I was drunk at the time.